Monday, July 31, 2017

It's Monday....S.O.B!

Monday workday is over!! (for most of us at least)

I was introduced to this song again via Pandora. I am so glad I was! Musically it is fantastic for a myriad of reasons. I enjoy the dynamic differences between the chorus and the verses. Plus, who hasn't yelled "sonofabitch!" at something in their lives? In between the verses reminds me of an old gospel tune. Everyone can clap and "WHOOOOOooooa OOOOOooooh OOOOOooooh" along with it.




In my humble opinion I think the lyrics speak directly to the story of someone with an addiction issue, regardless of what the particular "drug" of choice may be. I can relate to this all too well unfortunately.

Even with the beginning "mmmhhmmm mmmhmmmm mmmmhmmmm" could even be construed as the satisfactory sound after taking a sip of a good beer, a hit of a good bong, etc.

The opening stanza is one of someone who knows they need help, and is asking for it. They know what it will take to quit. But in the last line they decide they aren't ready to quit and start lashing out. This is all too common a practice. Addicts have to hit their own low, whatever it may be, before they will truly change.

The chorus (SOOOO GOOD!) I always envision as more of an internal dialogue. I need a drink, one more night is ok, ugh i can't believe I am doing this again, you know what, screw it. If I can't quit I'll just over-do it and end it all that way.

I feel the next stanza has the vibe of someone who knows what the bottom looks like, knows they should change, yet has resigned themselves to whatever God/fate/karma etc has in store for them. The lyrics don't paint a picture of resolve to change.

"My heart was breaking, hands were shaking, bugs are crawling all over me." Can we all agree that this is a lyrical version of withdrawal?

Now there are two ways to look at the end to the song. Since the lyrics don't change, it would be easy to believe that the addict loses, doesn't change, continues down the wrong path.

I am a positive person by nature, so you know I believe there is a happier ending. I feel there is a different emphasis and sound to the last chorus. It has a more triumphant feeling and sound to my ears and my soul. Like they are remembering when they were an addict, and celebrating being clean. Almost laughing at their previous poor choices. "oooooh" remember when...

I hope you enjoyed the song. I haven't had anyone tell me my song choices are awful so I am gonna keep doing this. If you have a song you are addicted to and want me to listen, send it my way!!! Don't forget to follow this blog, like the post on fbook, etc!

This ends this post. SONOFABITCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment